Suffer a Miscarriage at Camp Lejeune? How We Can Help Get You Compensation
In a recent revealing investigation by NBC News, light has been shed on the heartbreaking effects of one of the most significant water contamination cases in the history of the United States — Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. Nestled near this infamous military base lies a cemetery, a somber resting place for hundreds of babies and untold dreams. Between the years 1953 and 1987, up to a staggering 1 million people may have been exposed to hazardous drinking water at Camp Lejeune. The contamination has been directly linked to severe health issues, including miscarriages, female infertility, and life-threatening birth defects.
If you or a loved one has suffered a miscarriage at Camp Lejeune, you might be entitled to compensation. Sharma Law Office handles Camp Lejeune miscarriage lawsuits and can help you understand your legal rights and options.
The Contamination History of Camp Lejeune
Camp Lejeune, a military training facility in North Carolina, has been the subject of numerous studies linking its contaminated water supply to adverse health effects, including miscarriages. The contamination primarily involved volatile organic compounds (VOCs) such as trichloroethylene and tetrachloroethylene. Federal laws such as the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) provide some relief, but navigating these legal frameworks requires specialized knowledge.
Establishing a Camp Lejeune Miscarriage Lawsuit
To bring forth a successful lawsuit, certain key elements must be firmly established:
- Exposure: A foundational step in your lawsuit is to demonstrate that you or your affected loved one was indeed exposed to the harmful substances at Camp Lejeune during the relevant timeframe. Documentation such as military records or other forms of evidence will be instrumental in this regard.
- Causation: Next, medical records or expert medical testimony must confirm that there is a direct linkage between your exposure to the contaminated water and the miscarriage. This often requires collaboration with healthcare providers and possibly other experts in reproductive health and toxicology.
While legal action can never replace your loss, it can offer some form of restitution and possibly prevent similar tragedies for others.
Our Personal Injury Attorney in Bethlehem Can Help You Get Compensation
If you are seeking representation for your case, our personal injury attorney in Bethlehem specializing in such cases can be invaluable. This is not just a local issue but a matter that has garnered national attention. Hence, the need for a skilled attorney who understands the broader implications as well as localized needs is imperative.
The kind of compensation you might receive can vary depending on several factors such as the degree of negligence proven, medical expenses incurred, and the emotional trauma suffered. Compensation can cover:
- Medical Expenses: Medical costs related to the miscarriage can form a substantial part of the compensation. This can include not just the immediate medical procedures necessary at the time of the miscarriage, but also any subsequent treatments that may be required to address complications or other health issues that arise.
- Loss of Wages: If you had to take time off work due to the miscarriage or the subsequent medical and emotional care, these lost wages can be part of your claim. Calculations typically consider not only the immediate loss but also any potential long-term earning reductions that might be attributed to the incident.
- Pain and Suffering: In addition to tangible costs, compensation may also factor in for pain and suffering. This is often a more subjective criterion but is recognized as an important aspect of the overall hardship endured. Calculations here might include the emotional distress suffered by both parents, as well as any detrimental effects on quality of life.
- Wrongful Death: This can include costs related to medical expenses, and funeral and burial costs.
At Sharma Law Office, our personal injury lawyers in Bethlehem bring a wealth of experience handling Camp Lejeune cases. We take a thorough, evidence-based approach to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve. Our firm stands apart in its dedication to client service and its mastery of the intricate legal landscapes that these cases involve. Contact us today for a consultation and let us help you build a robust case to ensure that your case is adequately addressed.